$page = $_SERVER[REQUEST_URI]; $page = explode('/', $page); $page = $page; ?>
Model Marriage Education Legislation [adapted from V.T.C.A., Family Code § 2.013]
Premarital Education Requirements; Waiver
(a) Each person applying for a marriage license who attends a premarital education course of at least four hours during the year preceding the date of the application for the license shall receive a $ [insert] reduction in the fee for a marriage license.
(b) The course under Subsection (a) may be completed by:
(1) personal instruction;
(2) videotape instruction;
(3) instruction through an electronic medium; or
(4) a combination of these methods.
(c) A premarital education course should include instruction in:
(1) conflict management;
(2) communication skills;
(3) children and parenting responsibilities; and
(4) financial responsibilities.
(d) A course under this section should be offered by:
(1) a mental health professional who holds at least a master's degree with a background in family therapy; or
(2) a religious practitioner who performs counseling consistent with the laws of this state, or another person designated as a program counselor by a church or religious institution.
(e) Each county clerk shall maintain a roster of area course providers who meet the requirements of this section, including providers who offer the course on a sliding scale or without charge. The clerk shall provide a copy of the roster on request to an applicant for a marriage license for a fee not to exceed $______.
(f) An applicant for a marriage license who takes a course under this section shall pay any fee charged for the course.
(g) A person who seeks to be listed as a course provider on a list maintained under Subsection (e) shall notify the county clerk of the county in which the person intends to offer a course. The notification must include the applicant's professional license number or evidence of the person's position or affiliation with a church or religious institution, as appropriate, and an address at which the course provider may be contacted.